Reservation Dogs

How … how did I like it? Well I watched the first four episodes and I enjoyed them. The show covers a variety of interesting topics. I like how the show incorporates spirituality in a show that follows teenagers. I know that is not the main point of the show but I think the spirit that Bear sees is a clever addition. On the topic of spirituality, in the third episode I liked how Uncle Brownie started out as a grumpy hermit and grew into a teacher for the Rez Dogs. Also in that episode, I enjoyed how Brownie reacted to the legalization of marijuana and how Brownie and some of the other adults attributed a spiritual aspect to marijuana. Another theme I noticed a few times was the issue of race. I especially enjoyed how the show depicted the part where Bear’s mother encountered the rich racist. Also, the conversation between the two white people who hit the deer portrays exactly how white people tend to think of reservations and Native Americans. Overall, I am enjoying how this show combines comedy with serious topics such as racism, spirituality as well as others. 


 


 

Comments

  1. Sounds like there are some scenes that really resonate with you, which is great. As a reminder, here was the prompt [How does this show portray an experience of Native American life? In what ways do the characters and the situations they find themselves in fit with your expectations and understandings of Native American experience in the United States? How is this show subversive, problematic, uplifting, despairing, something else? Sterlin Harjo, the co-creator of the show, said that Reservation Dogs gives people "permission to laugh with us."Links to an external site. What does this mean, and why is that important?] so it would have been good for you to engage with it more critically. What about the reading - maybe that would have helped frame some broader ideas?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Milk - Emma G.

Milk

Reservation Dogs